Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 3 Ignacio, CO

A pilgrim asking for posada during Christmas season has a great advantage.  It's wonderful being a pilgrim walking from Purgatory.

To begin the journey, I explained at the ski resort of Purgatory Village - their busy season, notwithstanding - I was offered perfect pilgrim accommodation in a yurt.  A frigid night followed, but nothing more than mild suffering; it is Purgatory, after all, and one should suffer a least a little.

Descending more than 2,000 feet in 28 miles, the wind swirled the flurries as well as the clouds and there was a mountain mix of intense snow and intense sun throughout the day.  A photographer from the local paper got wind of me and caught up for roadside chats and snaps.

Journey to Chimayo
To view the contents on DurangoHerald.com, go to: http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20140104/NEWS01/140109800
Arriving in Durango just before evening Mass at St Colomba church, I grabbed the ear of the ushers and the priest who cordially offered to put me up in a hotel down the street, having no accommodation at the parish; yet following the service, many people approached to inquire about the oddity of a pilgrim in their midst and a kindly retired couple offered to take me home with them for a hearty meal and warm guestroom.  Nice pilgrim day.

Waking to a brisk 4*F, I left the historic mining town along an old railroad bed toward Ignacio, another of the towns on the traditional Old Spanish Trail.  Kindness abounded, especially for the temperature - coffee proffered and received frequently enough, though I declined the offers of a ride.

I don't understand why the photos I texted into the website didn't appear, but I'll try to get to the bottom of it and get the photos up on this page, though now out of sequence.

buen camino!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont think you're freeloading on people - as hospitalero I welcomed with bed and board the odd pilgrim who had no money.

But it could easily be seen like that by those who don't understand.